Monday, February 16, 2009

I would like to thank all of you who were praying for friends of mine I have listed on this blog over the last few months.

Sadly, my friend Mary Lynn Flook passed away this past Thursday. She was diagnosed with stomach cancer right after I got my diagnosis. She was a dear friend of ours. She and Dave taught an RCIC class together and then she taught the class on her own for a few years. She was always very concerned about her students. She spent extra time meeting with them, if they couldn't make the regular class time. She worked hard preparing her lessons for the variety of ages she taught. But most importantly, she loved her students and laughed with them often. I will always remember Mary Lynn's laugh. It was a robust and joy-filled laugh with a tinge of spit fire in it. She always gave it to you straight in her gentle voice with a sly smile. I loved her. I will miss her.

In the early fall, Dave and I snuck away from the kids and made a visit to Mary Lynn and Bill. We had brought them some leftovers for a later meal and ended up staying for a long discussion of cancer and treatment and little hints on how to avoid nausea. Soon we all grew weary of talking "cancer" and decided we needed to have some fun. Bill pulled out some Uno cards and and pulled up a table to the couch. We had a rousing game of Uno, penalizing anyone who mentioned cancer with drawing a card. We laughed and laughed. I think for all four of us the laughter and fellowship was salve on the soreness of disease. I will always remember that evening as one of the special ones in my life.

We will bury Mary Lynn later today. She was married for 42 years, loved her children, her grandchildren, and her God. She will be missed by many. May God welcome you into heaven, my friend, you are a good and faithful servant.

In hope and joy, Tree

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the loss of your dear friend Tree and Dave. Thinking of her family and yours! :(

Shannon

Anonymous said...

God picks angels of all ages. Smile with your memories and draw comfort from your friendship with each other and God.
L&P, Aunt Jean & Uncle Gene

Anonymous said...

Dear Tree,
Just a note to say you are all always in my thoughts and prayers. I love the Christmas photo of you and Dave - it is awesome. I know you are heart-broken over the passing of your friend, but also grateful that God blessed you with such a friendship.
Hugs to all of you. Take care - get ready to enjoy spring.

Natalie Coleman (Elena's mom)